Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chapter 1 Reflection

new world, new web, new skills

Technology is changing faster than we can keep up. My favorite Web Tools are updated just when I had figured out how to make them work for me. I have spoken with IT support in India and granted remote access to my computer so problems can be fixed. These are  the clearest examples that I can think of to demonstrate the idea of a connected and collaborative world.

I couldn't help but think about my own children (with a bit of fear in my heart) as I read this chapter. My oldest will be heading off to college this fall. I'm afraid that he has fallen in the cracks of the new web. He is a great user of these web tools socially, but he has never been taught how to use them to creatively and effectively collaborate. I will surely encourage him to take college level classes in web 2.0 applications. Is it too late for him? I hope the opportunities exist. When he enters the workforce, will he be prepared? I am more hopeful for his younger siblings. There are more opportunities still in front of them, but web based classes are still electives. Most teachers are not incorporating Web 2.o tools effectively. These tools are not being provided and these kids are not being prepared for the new challenges of international connectedness. 

I feel that since I am now one of the teachers "leading the charge" of 21st Century Skills and the necessity of teaching our students Web 2.0 skills,  I need more training.  

1 comment:

  1. One of the things that is under discussion in our district is how to integrate online classes for students who are looking for more flexibility and 24/7 access but there are a lot of questions about how effective they are, if the loss of F2Face teaching is going to be a detriment and how we will make sure that the classes are rigorous and meet the curriculum expectations. None of these are easy questions.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete