Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chapter 9 Reflection

new schools

I agree with Marc Prensky"s (2001) statement, "digital native students are no longer the people our educational system was designed to teach." Today's educators need to use the same tools in the classrooms that the students use at home. A prime example of one of these tools is the cell phone. My teenager hasn't used the notebook type planner since it was required in sixth grade. He instead runs the risk daily of having his cell phone confiscated every time he keys in his assignments. The has also shown me photos of assignments that were written on the board. This digital native has taken the technology available to him and used it as his planner. All the information he needs is in his phone - which could be taken away from him because we as educators haven't accepted that it can be used for this purpose. This is just one tool that hasn't been embraced by the educational establishment. I have seen teens use YouTube and other Web tools just as effectively to make the world work for them. I'd love to see the students learning how to use their cell phone calenders more effectively.

I like to dream, along with the authors of this chapter that someday students and teachers will be able to choose from an endless supply of content and tools that address individual student's needs. That's differentiation! There is a huge gap between what is and what should be when it comes to technology integration in our schools. Unless professional development is effective, the change will be slow. Web based classes (like this one) taking place online with peer support
is a great way to start.

2 comments:

  1. It is not only a dream but a requirement in my opinion. If we don't do it we risk becoming fundamentally irrelevant to our students and that would be a disaster.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    It is good to read your perspective....your portrayal of your son the digital native and his frustrations with the slow-to-change school environment is so right-on.

    I often feel like a curmudgeon when I take a student's cell phone away, yet justified at the same time. I'm at an elementary school now, but was at a high-school before that. I know that I felt justified taking phones away because of the ability to cheat on tests, but is that a good enough reason to take it away?

    I guess I am also troubled by constant texting, constantly being plugged in to ear buds etc, all of which have the effect of removing a person from their present surroundings. At the same time, I am a huge fan of my cell phone and my laptop...don't try and take either away from me! I guess I'm caught in my own personal digital divide!

    Nicky aka the sweetest berry

    ReplyDelete