Thursday, April 9, 2009

Week 8, Thing #19.1

Creating an Ebsco folder with Alaska's Digital Pipeline was a new experience for me. It wasn't long before I had added more articles than I need to to read later.   I decided to add the SLED toolbar to my computer because it is easy for me to neglect this useful tool available to me and my students because it isn't in front of me. I do find this site difficult to navigate. It does take time to locate specifics. With time and use I will become more familiar with how to best use it to meet the need of our school. It is loaded with information and it is easy to be distracted form the subject at hand.

I looked at the school interfaces and found that they each contained the following: facts for learning, search options, Novelist, and live homework help.  As the grade level of the interface increases more choices are offered.

The upcoming changes to the Ebsco Host flash video  include: a simplified search screen, breadcrumb trails, related results, a preview articles option with the ability to add articles directly from preview, and a search history tab. I am looking forward to these changes hope that these new options will make the site easier to navigate.

I did a Kid's Search powered by Ebsco Host. I was looking particularly for articles that have a relatively low reading level. I was disappointed to find the reading level (Lexile) listed in only a few of the articles I searched. 

After all the snow that I have shoveled this winter. I am definitely adding a snowthrower to the garage by next fall. With that in mind, under the small engine repair, I searched snowthrowers. This is a site that I will run to before I lift another shovel full of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment